Open shelving has become an increasingly popular design feature among homeowners looking to perform a kitchen remodel in Johnston, RI. It provides a combination of an aesthetic focal point and superb functionality. Open shelves offer a look with universal appeal and can really wow your visitors. However, there are also significant drawbacks of incorporating open shelves in your kitchen. Learn more about the biggest pros and cons of open kitchen shelving.
What are the advantages of open shelving in the kitchen?
Open shelves enable homeowners to showcase a dramatic backsplash, display dishes, pottery, sculptures, plants, herbs, and dishware and glassware, among numerous other options. Plus, they provide home chefs with the functionality to access their favorite cooking tools within arm’s reach.
However, these are only some of the advantages of incorporating open shelving in your kitchen. Take a look at what other great benefits you can expect if you choose to install open shelves in your home:
- Items that a homeowner wants to showcase are uniform in size.
- Homeowners want to easily access the cooking tools that they use most often without having to search in a cabinet or drawer. At a glance, homeowners know where everything is and know exactly what’s ready for use.
Seeing all of your pieces encourages you to use more of your china and serving dishes because they’re never out of sight nor out of mind.
- Homeowners don’t want to display kitchen gadgets and tools and products that can be relegated to cabinets and drawers.
- Budgets are tight. Shelving tends to be less expensive than cabinetry and less costly to install.
- You want to showcase a backsplash, collectibles, artwork and dish and glassware.
- Space is at a premium. Open shelves can make a kitchen appear larger and more open.
What are the drawbacks of open kitchen shelving?
On the other hand, open shelving is neither ideal nor perfect for all kitchen and all homeowner requirements. Open shelving carries with it some specific drawbacks that you may or may not be able to live with. Take a look at the most glaring disadvantages of open shelves and see whether or not it’s the best choice for you:
- You don’t have the time or the inclination to keep the shelves organized.
- You don’t have the time or the inclination to clean often. Open shelves tend to attract dust and grease and grime generated from cooking.
- You are seeking custom design on a budget. For custom kitchens, the cost savings are negligible, especially if the client wants custom shelving.
- Functionality is more important than aesthetics. A primary benefit of open shelves is to have the most used kitchen items at your fingertips. It takes time and effort to keep everything in its place to avoid a cluttered aesthetic.
- There are too many items on the shelves that contribute to a cluttered, disorganized look.
- When you need the storage space that cabinets provide. Upper cabinets conceal clutter and disorganized dishes that you may not have time to straighten up and foster things getting tucked away and off the countertops.
Who performs stylish and functional kitchen remodels in Johnston, RI?
Not sure if open shelving is the right choice for your home in Johnston? Unsure if incorporating open shelving will make your kitchen more practical and functional? It’s time to get more information about open shelving and the various possible combinations.
Luckily, you can always rely on Northeast Kitchen Remodel & Design Build for sound and useful advice. We’re here to help you decide if open shelving is the way to go for you, and then proceed with designing and installing it. Give us a call at (401) 257-6610 or visit our showroom at 2949 Hartford Avenue Johnston RI to determine how you can create the kitchen of your dreams. We’re waiting for you!